Detroit’s history, diversity, and a melting pot of cultures elevate the city to new heights. Between events happening throughout the city, popular destinations for residents and tourists to visit and enjoy all year long, and a variety of dining and leisure activities to explore. Detroit has it all!
The city of Detroit is now in the eyes of the world as it is enjoying a boom of growth and prosperity. Named as one of Time Magazine’s “World’s Greatest Places In The World In 2022”, Detroit is spotlighted as a “newfound glory” that shows growth and popularity.
As the headquarters for so many companies and the automobile capital of the United States, it has earned the nickname “Motor City”. The city is expanding toward success in popularity and revenue with more events, restaurants, and visitors coming to the city. The Motor City is gaining support from these companies who believe in Detroit’s continued growth and prosperity and want to see the city thrive.
Popular Destinations to Visit in Detroit
Depending on what you are looking to do in the Motor City, there are a variety of popular destinations and activities to see and partake in. These range from sporting events, casinos, convention centers and more.
Detroit offers sporting fans and concert lovers:
- Comerica Park for the Tigers.
- Little Caesars Arena for the Red Wings and the Pistons and concerts.
- Ford Field for the Lions and concerts.
Another big staple of Detroit sightseeing is the Renaissance Center. This building houses multiple venues for visitors, vacationers, businesses, and events. Some prominent venues in the Renaissance Center include:
- General Motors headquarters
- Detroit Marriot Hotel
- Restaurants such as Andiamo’s, Highlands Steakhouse, and many more
- Multiple conference rooms and larger spaces to hold meetings and events
The nightlife in Detroit livens up with the casinos and bars down the street from each other. Detroit is home to the:
- MGM Grand Detroit, Motor City Casino, and Greektown Casino. These casinos feature hotels for patrons to stay at and enjoy the nightlife within Detroit
- Just down the road from these great casinos, the nightlife extends to the streets with multiple bars and taverns for those who want a night out
If you are looking for a concert or event in Detroit, venues such as Ford Field and the Fox Theatre are where most celebrities go to host their show for their fans. The Detroit Metro is also home to the most successful concert venue in the country: Pine Knob Music Theatre. These venues are located near the heart of Downtown Detroit, offering options for exploring the city before and after the event.
Activities and Leisure in The Motor City
If you want to set sail to see the beauty of Detroit, there are several options, such as:
- Diamond Jack’s Riverboat Tours and the Detroit Princess Riverboat, both offer stunning views of the city to customers
Along the riverfront, residents and visitors will enjoy the relaxing and scenic views from Belle Isle. The island features:
- Multiple areas for families and residents to enjoy the beauty and weather within Detroit
- A conservatory and museum to explore
- The island also hosted the Chevrolet Detroit Grand Prix for 2022
Detroit is also home to multiple parks and venues, such as:
- Campus Martius and Hart Plaza, hosting events throughout the year for residents and families
- The Detroit Institute of Arts opens the doors to exploration and history, showcasing beautiful artifacts and paintings throughout the museum. It is one of the top five art museums in the United States
- The Henry Ford Museum in nearby Dearborn is one of the largest and most extensive museums in the United States
- The Detroit Opera House for hosting events, live music, and shows
There are so many events in Detroit, and knowing what the city has to offer can be helpful when planning your trip to the Motor City.
Motor City Shopping and DiningThe Motor City houses more than just events and sightseeing. Some visitors and residents will want to shop till they drop, and Detroit is home to many shops to help customers find the right outfit, accessory, or more for their trip to the city. For those looking to enjoy the variety of cultures in Detroit, multiple restaurants are found throughout the city to offer visitors and residents cuisine while out in the city.
The city is home to:
- Eastern Market is a section of the city where multiple vendors and local shops are open to the public with various goods, such as plants, art, and more
- Along Woodward Avenue, those looking for shopping will find multiple clothing shops such as Nike, Lululemon, and The Detroit Shoppe
- Shoppers will also have the J.L. Hudson Site, which will house clothing, restaurants, hotels, and housing once completed
Dotted around the city are various restaurants that blend the cultures of the residents. Some notable places would be:
- Midnight Temple, serving hungry customers Indian cuisine
- Mom’s Spaghetti, created by the famous Detroit rapper Eminem, serves patrons spaghetti-themed dishes
- Detroit Shipping Company houses six different menus for hungry residents and visitors to pick from and enjoy
Whether you are looking to refresh your closet or expand your love of food with something new, the city of Detroit has something for anyone who may be visiting the downtown area.
Our Final Thoughts
Whether you are a resident of the Great Lakes State and want to visit the “newfound glory” of Detroit, as Time Magazine calls it, or want to experience it for yourself, there is never a dull moment in the city. We recommend enjoying the city, adventuring down the streets of Detroit and discovering something fresh, unique, and diverse.
With Detroit on the rise, who knows what the great Motor City has to offer in the future? As more and more residents and visitors come to the city, they help amplify the need to renovate and revitalize the city with more for residents and visitors to enjoy.